Monday 26 December 2011

Hi everyone (and a mascara review)

So...hi! Just thought I'd introduce this whole shabang. Why start a beauty blog? I mean, there's 1000s out there, a lot more decent and by people whose advice is more trustworthy. Well firstly, I lead a boring unfulfilling life and will probably end up sitting in an office running stats programs (whoopee), so thought this would be a fun thing to do, and can fill up hours that probably should be spent on maths homework. Unlike DJing (lol), it doesn't require hundreds of pounds - though I probably have racked up that much even in the £3 eyeshadows I buy. Secondly, I do love cosmetics and even plan my face for a night out in advance. To me it's like art but on your face, which you can wipe clean every evening and do something different the next day. Some people find a look that suits them and stick with them, but I think the fun is in the experimentation. And thirdly, a selling point; being a student, I can't afford Chanel/Estee Lauder etc, so if you're in the same boat of being limited to only buying drugstore brands, that's mainly what I'll be writing about! And general reviews of things like perfume ofc. So here we go.
This is what I picked up in a recently failed attempt at Christmas shopping. The eyeliner and light-up lipgloss are from Collection 2000, while the eyeshadows were half-price (yay) from Gosh. The silver is a really nice glittery one, while the greens are very matte and could almost be grey in some lighting. I love the black-n-glitter liquid eyeliner, but the only problem is it ends up crumbling over your face and in your eyes if you're not careful. Anyways, this is what these products look like on: (sorry about the quality of the photos, will improve in future)
The mascara in this photo is the Colossal Cat Eyes from Maybelline, which I actually really like.
The brush is a natural bristle one, slightly curved. It's a normal size, which is getting rarer now that every brand seems to boast "our biggest brush ever" (what do they want, that eventually we'll be putting our mascara on with a shoebrush?). It's a pretty good one for applying, though I find I have to use the end bit for the very corner lashes which can be a pain - literally. I don't get too much of the stuff all over my eyelids.
As for how my lashes look - well, see for yourself. I think this does a pretty good job or curling/volumising/lengthening, especially on the first coat. However on subsequent coats it does start clumping, so you have to use a lash comb.
Any other unimportant details? In reviews I've watched on YouTube, EVERYONE complains about the smell. I can honestly say, I love it. It smells of honey, maybe "roses" to some and "nasty chemicals" to a few mad others....whatever, I think it's lovely, so I didn't mind that in the first week after buying this, I could smell my eyelashes. It's £8 in Boots/Superdrug, though I got it for £6. They do occasionally have some deals on. Though I won't be repurchasing as I want to try something new, I would definitely recommend this! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment